Terminalia bellerica generally referred to as Baheda or Bibhitaki is likely one of the necessary herbs of Ayurvedic drugs. It’s a medicinal deciduous tree of the Combretacea household native to tropical Asia similar to India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia and China. In India, it’s principally discovered within the plain dry forests of Tamil Nadu, Assam, Odisha, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. Few of the favored widespread names of the plant are Bastard Myrobalan, Barro, Bedda Nut Tree, Thani, Thandri, Baheda, Beleric Myrobalan, Bolsuiri, Belliric Myrabolan, Seashore Almond, Agong, Behere and Belleric. The generic identify ‘Terminalia’ comes from Latin phrase ‘terminus’ or ‘terminalis’ (ending), and refers back to the behavior of the leaves being crowded or borne on the information of the shoots. Bibhitaki, which suggests fearless, is the Sanskrit identify for Terminalia bellerica.
Baheda is a fruit that’s used as conventional treatment in numerous elements of India for mind-altering factor; they used because the treatment by smoking dried kernels. Totally different elements of Baheda crops are used within the people system of medicines like Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Chinese language drugs. In Asia, the makes use of of remedial crops are well-established and are properly recorded. It is a vital a part of Triphala churna which consists of a mix from the dried fruits of Amalaki (Emblica Officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica) and Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) with superb therapeutic properties in applicable proportion.
Baheda is a big, fast-growing deciduous tree that grows about 12-50 m tall and a diameter of three m and seems like a rounded crown. It’s typically buttressed trunk close to the bottom, and its branchless are as much as 20 m lengthy. The plant is discovered rising in scattered forests, sunny mountain slopes, higher layer timber of stream valleys, decrease seasonal rain forests, monsoon forests, combined deciduous forests or dry deciduous dipterocarp forests, related to teak. The plant grows greatest on fertile, loam soils with good drainage; nevertheless, it has carried out fairly nicely on poor soils the place the selection of tree species is restricted. Bark is 10-20 mm thick, bluish or ashy-grey coated with quite a few high quality longitudinal cracks and yellowish internal bark. Twigs are thick, initially densely short-hairy.
Leaves are giant, glabrous, alternate, broadly elliptic to obovate-elliptical, Eight-20 cm lengthy and 7.5-15 cm broad, base rounded to cuneate, rufous-sericeous however quickly glabrescent, with 6-9 pairs of secondary veins. Secondary and tertiary venation outstanding on each surfaces, clustered in the direction of the ends of branchlets. Leaf tip is narrow- pointed or rounded. Petiole is 2.5-9 cm lengthy. Younger leaves copper-red, quickly turning into parrot inexperienced, then darkish inexperienced. It’s thought-about a great fodder for cattle.
Flower & Fruit
Flowers are solitary, small, Three-15 cm lengthy, 5-6 mm throughout, stalk much less, greenish white, easy, axillary spikes; calyx tube densely sericeous or tomentulose; flowers seem together with new leaves and have a robust honey-like odor. Higher flowers of the spike are male, decrease flowers are bisexual. Stamens are Three-Four mm lengthy. Flowering usually takes place from March-Might. Fertile flowers are adopted by sub-globular to broadly ellipsoid drupe, 2–Three.5 cm lengthy, densely velutinous or sericeous, and light-yellow, obscurely 5-angled and minutely brown tomentosa.
Fruit is roofed with minute pale pubescence. Oil obtained from the seed is beneficial in Pores and skin illnesses. It’s a good tonic for abdomen and mind. It’s an efficient for headache, persistent diarrhea and piles. It’s helpful in treating bronchitis, nostril and coronary heart illness. The tree sheds leaves in November with younger ones showing along with flowers. Animals eat fruits, thus dispersing the seeds.
Health Benefits of Baheda powder
Bibhitaki, the marvel drugs has a number of health benefits, a few of them are talked about under:
1. Assist in Weight Loss
Baheda fruit is usually a best choice for the individuals making an attempt to drop some pounds. Ayurvedic rules say that the herbs which have an astringent style are likely to shrink fats tissues. Baheda has astringent style and is mild to digest and causes dryness of tissues.
In addition to this, it’s scorching efficiency in nature. In order that individual in search of for dropping stomach fats or weight reduction can shrink the fats tissues utilizing this herb. As Baheda fruit is mild to digest it boosts physique hearth the elevated physique hearth accelerates metabolism and turns metabolism amassed fats. Taking Baheda churna every day can regulate starvation and mixed with well-balanced weight loss plan and routine train will help in weight reduction naturally.
2. Useful in Constipation
Baheda is among the essential crops of Ayurveda that has been historically used to alleviate constipation. It has a pure laxative property and holds in dietary fibers, a digestive agent who fights with constipation. Consuming Baheda churna can have soothing and lubricating impact on the gastro enteric tract. In addition to this, it moreover heals and nourishes intestinal tract and useful to individuals affected by different digestive complaints corresponding to abdomen cramps or IBS.
Three. Get Rid Of Headache
Baheda churna could be fairly useful for relieving headache ache. Take Baheda and jawasa and make decoction from it add 1 teaspoon of ghee to it. Give this decoction to an individual affected by headache, 3 times a day. This decoction will assist to remedy headache induced as a result of pitta and may even remedy fevers in addition to dizziness.
Four. Deal with Diarrhea
Diarrhea is an indication that your physique is making an attempt to rid itself of one thing poisonous or one thing unhealthy issues in your system. The state of affairs could be managed by natural treatment created from baheda plant. Take 2-5 gm. of bark of baheda tree and 1-2 cloves, grind them properly and add one teaspoon of honey into it. Eat this treatment for 3 to 4 occasions a day sooner you will discover unfastened movement is beneath management.
5. Prevents Cough and Chilly
Baheda could be very efficient herb in treating respiratory issues, and issues prompted resulting from chilly. In Ayurveda the herb is understood to scale back the cough, releases the mucus and clear air passages. It additionally clean the bronchial spasms and permit the affected person to breathe freely.
Moreover, the fruit, provides a superb cholagogic impact, that may restore the cough reflex. Apart from this, additionally it is useful in gingivitis, a standard an infection inside the mouth and gums. The primary signs are mouthed or gum swelling, end in on account of viral or bacterial an infection.
6. Soothe Sore Throat
Sore throat is a swollen throat that produces ache when swallowing. For this ailment baheda could be best choice. Take a baheda, pound on it utilizing a stone, you will discover a single seed inside, take away it. Subsequent take one of many damaged shells and suck it, it’ll style as an astringent and bitter, nevertheless it works nicely for sore throat and cough.
7. Heals Wounds
Baheda paste is a tremendous wound healer. In case you are affected by minor rashes, pores and skin irritations, apply a paste of baheda. For the paste, take a small piece of baheda and rub it on a stone together with little water to get a clean paste.
Eight. Removes Pimples and Ulcers
Baheda Fruit has many medicinal benefits and antibacterial properties, which may make the scars, vanish away. Vitamin C and minerals corresponding to potassium, selenium, iron, copper and manganese helps to clean the pores and skin and helps to scale back irritation.
Apart from this, it consists of highly effective antioxidants which are very useful for sustaining the health and look to the pores and skin. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of those seeds on the pores and skin assist to decrease pimples scars and heal different pores and skin circumstances.
9. Dental Issues
Decoction made by boiling the shell of the damaged fruit together with little water can be utilized as a mouth rinse and it can deal with a lot of the dental issues like mouth odor, mouth ulcers, and so on.
10. Deal with Indigestion
The strange indicators of indigestion similar to stomach ache, bloating, fuel, growling abdomen could be cured through the use of Baheda. Take lengthy pepper, licorice root, and Baheda fruit in equal amount make it churna (powder). Now make a decoction, take about two teaspoons of churna, boil it in 500 ml of water till it reduces to shut to 300 ml and let it calm down. Take 100 ml of this decoction two occasions (morning and night) definitely you will see change.
11. Prevents Hair Loss
Baheda is among the fantastic herbs that can be utilized for numerous hair issues. Apart from preserving hair wholesome additionally it is useful in fixing numerous hair issues akin to treating lice, controlling hair loss, treating dandruff issues.
It’s a fantastic herb that may assist in coping with gray hair (white hair) the individuals utilizing hair colours steadily endure from critical injury. Whereas hair dying to make hair look silky feeling the floor turns hydrophilic with hair dye and hair bleach.
The broken hair may be dramatically recovered with making use of Baheda oil because it has properties referred to as Gallic acid. Making use of Baheda oil types a hydrophobic layer on the broken floor of hair and retains hair wholesome.
12. Remedy for Lack of Urge for food
Lack of urge for food is usually momentary and could be turned off. Lack of Urge for food is especially associated with psychosomatic causes like fear, nervousness, melancholy, and so forth. Baheda churna might be useful in dealing such an issue, take Three-6 gm. churna (powder) made out of Baheda fruit after meals. It not solely helps to reinforce a digestive energy but in addition remedy’s lack of urge for food and even helps to strengthen the abdomen.
(Observe: If individuals might have a long-time drawback of Lack of urge for food, they need to seek the advice of a physician. There are numerous medical issues that may result in a poor urge for food, corresponding to bacterial infections, viral infections, continual liver illness, hypothyroidism, kidney failure, hepatitis, and so forth.)
Conventional makes use of and benefits of Baheda
- Fruit is anthelmintic, astringent (particularly when ripe), digestive, tonic and laxative (particularly when unripe).
- Fruit is used internally principally within the remedy of digestive and respiratory issues.
- Ripe fruit is utilized in instances of diarrhea and indigestion, while the unripe fruit is used as a laxative in instances of persistent constipation in Indian natural drugs.
- Fruit is usually used to deal with higher respiratory tract infections that trigger signs of sore throats, hoarseness and coughs.
- Externally, the fruit is used to make a lotion for sore eyes.
- Bitter fruits are one of many elements of ‘Triphala’, an Ayurvedic rejuvenative, laxative tonic based mostly on this species plus the fruits of Phyllanthus emblica and Terminalia chebula.
- Within the historic Ayurvedic textual content, Baheda fruits are talked about as having qualities to alleviate illness, and bestow longevity, mental prowess and power.
- Kernels are eaten by the Lodha individuals of the Indian subcontinent for his or her mind-altering qualities.
- Its pulp is utilized in dropsy, piles and diarrhea.
- Fruits are laxative, astringent, anthelmintic and antipyretic; helpful in hepatitis, bronchitis, bronchial asthma, dyspepsia, piles, diarrhea, coughs, hoarseness of voice, eye illnesses and scorpion-sting; used as a hair tonic.
- Decoction of the inexperienced fruit is used for cough.
- Pulp of the fruit is beneficial in dysenteric-diarrhea, dropsy, piles and leprosy.
- Half ripe fruit is used as purgative.
- Kernel of the fruit is narcotic.
- Fruits are utilized in menstrual dysfunction in Khagrachari.
- Seed oil is utilized in rheumatism.
- Gum of the bark is demulcent and purgative.
- Triterpenoid current within the fruits possess vital antimicrobial exercise.
- It additionally helps within the efficient administration of weight problems and helps in weight reduction.
- Common use of Baheda oil could be very useful to hair health. It’s an efficient treatment for dandruff and lice an infection.
- Baheda powder is combined with honey and this mix helps to remedy chilly and cough successfully.
- Additionally it is used to remedy gingivitis and sore throat.
- Extra mucus from the respiratory tract might be expelled out by means of Baheda and thus the restoring the traditional cough reflex.
- Paste of the fruit is utilized on eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
- The herb is utilized in numerous eye illnesses, reminiscent of myopia, corneal opacity, pterigium, and immature cataract, persistent and acute infective circumstances.
- Gallotannins current in Baheda has useful results on Parkinson, Alzheimer and different neuro degenerative illnesses.
- Fruit pulp could be very efficient in eye nourishment, hair progress.
- It’s anti-bacterial in nature and used to battle towards numerous infections.
- It’s helpful in hoarseness of voice, bronchial asthma, cough and widespread chilly. It relieves blocked phlegm and bleeding in sputum.
- Seed oil of this herb can also be useful for pores and skin issues and untimely graying of hair. It additionally boosts up hair progress and helps to impart black colour to hair.
- It additionally helps to remedy lack of urge for food, thirst, bloating, flatulence, piles and numerous worm infestations.
- Decoction of seed kernels is utilized in vomiting and extreme thirst.
- This herb can also be useful in blood strain and helps in decreasing levels of cholesterol.
- Bark of this tree is used for chest ache and coronary heart illnesses.
- It regularizes physique temperature and cures dyspepsia when eaten with betel nut.
Ayurvedic Health benefits of Bastard myrobalan (Barro)
- Baldness: Put together an infusion of Terminalia Bellirica fruit. Use it to scrub your Hair.
- Bronchial asthma: Take 5 cups of Agar wooden items. Boil in 2 liter of water till it reduces to 1 liter. Add 1 liter every of Cow’s milk and Gingelly oil to it. Boil the combination once more to take away the moisture utterly from it. Take Terminalia Bellirica and Licorice root powder every of them half cup. Add to the combination. Let it cool, then pressure and retailer. This oil can be utilized to therapeutic massage the scalp twice every week. Depart it for 20 Minutes and then Wash off.
- Migraine: Boil Four cups of Agar wooden items in 2 liter water until it’s decreased to at least one liter. Now once more boil it with one liter every of Cow’s milk and Gingerly oil and take away its moisture. Add half cup every of powdered Terminalia Bellirica and Liquorice root. Let it cool then pressure. Therapeutic massage the scalp with this oil twice every week; maintain it for 20 Minutes and Wash off.
- Swelling: Take Four cups of damaged Agar wooden chips. Soak in 2 liter water over night time. Subsequent day boil it until the water is lowered to half liter. Now grind the chips individually and once more boil with the decoction for 10 Minutes. Filter. Warmth with half liter every of Coconut Oil and Cow’s Milk. Add One cup every of Wild Turmeric, Rinds of Terminalia Bellirica and 2 cups every of Cassia Auriculata and Southern wooden flower. Add a pinch of Saffron. Boil for 10 Minutes. Cool, pressure and retailer. Therapeutic massage the scalp with this oil twice every week.
- Baldness: Dip 5 cups of damaged Agar wooden chips in 2 liter water in a single day. – Boil till the water reduces to at least one fourth. Add half liter of Coconut Oil and Cow’s Milk, one cup every of Wild Turmeric, Rinds of Terminalia Bellirica and 2 cups every of Cassia Auriculata and Southernwood flower. Boil for 10 minutes. Pressure. Apply on the scalp twice every week.
- Blocked Nostril: Take 2 liters of water. Add 5 cups of Agar wooden items. Boil it. Wait until the quantity reduces to 1 liter. Add 1 liter of Cow’s Milk and 1 liter of Sesame Oil. Take away the moisture from the combination by boiling it. Add half cup of Terminalia Bellirica rinds and Licorice roots. Let it cool. Filter it. Use it twice every week.
- Constipation: Grind Indian Gooseberry, Chebulic Myrobalan and Terminalia Bellirica collectively. Take one teaspoon powder as soon as a day for 7 days.
- Sore Throat: Grind Dates, Raisins, Black Pepper, Lengthy Pepper and Baheda in equal portions. Take One tablespoon of this paste with equal amount of Honey thrice a day. It’s also good for cough.
- Weak Eyesight: Take 50 gram inexperienced coriander, 1 teaspoon dried powdered Indian gooseberry, 1 teaspoon dried powdered harad and 1 teaspoon dried, powdered Baheda. Put all elements in a jar. Grind. Add salt in line with your style. Eat it together with your meal.
- Headache: Take dried Ginger, bark of Neem, Indian Gooseberry, Baheda and juice of uncooked Turmeric every in equal amount. Boil in Eight folds water till it stays one portion. Now combine Jaggery. Take this combination twice a day.
- Kidney Illness: Take Three tablespoons Shilajit, 1 tablespoon Indian Gooseberry, 1 tablespoon harad and 1 tablespoon Baheda. Powder them collectively. Have 2 pinches twice a day.
- Conjunctivitis: Take 10 gram Indian Gooseberry, 10 gram baheda and 10 gram Harad. Take 2 glass of water. Put all components in water and soak it for in a single day. Pressure and cool. Wash eyes with this water.
- Constipation: Grind equal portions of Behada, Amla and Harad. Take one tablespoon earlier than retiring at night time.
- Ascaris: Put together a mix by including Neem oil with Castor Oil. Take half tsp of it within the morning with an empty Abdomen.
- Baldness: Take equal amount of Aloe Vera, Indian Gooseberry, Baheda and Harad. Grind them collectively. Therapeutic massage your scalp with this combination for six months. This method promotes progress of latest hair
- Snake chew: Put together a decoction, manufactured from Curry Leaf stem bark, Terminalia Bellirica leaves and Ziziphus Xylopyrus leaves. Eat half cup of it 2 occasions a day.
- Coronary heart Illnesses: Combine Ashwagandha root powder and Baheda powder in equal proportion. Eat 1 teaspoon of this combination with Jaggery every day. It is going to present aid from Chest Ache.
- Bark is used for making a dye.
- Fruits yield a dye that’s sometimes used along with iron sulphate for dyeing black material and matting, as an affordable substitute for indigo, and for preparation of ink.
- Leaves are a supply of tannins.
- Seeds yield clear yellow oil, it’s used for hair-oil and within the manufacture of cleaning soap.
- Wonderful cleaning soap may be ready utilizing a mix of 60% of this oil, 25% coconut oil and 15% groundnut oil.
- An insoluble gum is produced in appreciable amount from the trunk.
- Timber is yellowish-grey, missing heartwood, mild to reasonably heavy, pretty straight-grained, very coarse-textured.
- It’s used for development and agricultural implements, particularly in areas the place different timber is scarce or costly.
- Giant-sized stems are used for dug-out canoes.
- Wooden is valued for gasoline and for making charcoal.
- Leaves are extremely valued and extensively used as fodder.
- It’s grown as an avenue tree.
- The Hindus of northern India usually consider that the one that won’t sit beneath its shade might be inhabited by demons.
- Seeds are attainable poisonous or narcotic.
- Keep away from use throughout being pregnant and breast feeding.
- It might trigger Myocardial Depressant Exercise.
- Extra dosage might end in Gastric issues.
- An excessive amount of of this will trigger Nausea and Vomiting, Fuel formation within the Intestines, Diarrhea and unfastened motions
- It lowers blood sugar so these affected by blood issues might want to regulate their diabetic treatment accordingly.
- Those that endure from bleeding issues can be greatest to keep away from it in addition to it slows blood clotting.
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=1447993451926362&version=v2.3”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));